The Watchman

The Watchman

Friday, February 25, 2011

Sometimes a Girl Just Has to Let Her Inner Nerd Show

So my secret is out - I'm a nerd. And even worse, I am a sci-fi nerd. I grew up watching Star Trek, Quantum Leap, Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galatica - the real one with Lorne Green and the oh so dreamy Richard Hatch. I was in awe of all the gadgets, beaming up, travelling so fast that the stars were mere streaks on the intergalactic highway and most of all, the interesting characters that one could meet as you travelled to planets planets that were so different from Earth but had so many of the same day-to-day problems that we had.

My life truly changed when I was in sixth grade and the great George Lucas brought his vision of the Galactic Empire to the big screen. It is hard to look back and believe that the success of the franchise was ever in doubt. The epic story of good versus evil, sacrifice and redemption, love and friendship resonated against the wonder of space. There has never been anything like it since.
But how was my obsession outed to those outside my inner circle. It wasn't the collection of Star Trek and Star Wars Pez dispensers or the Death Star, X-wing, Tie Fighter and Millenium Falcon models. It wasn't the Darth Tater or Spud Trooper next to the complete DVD collection of the shows named above.

Nope, my secret was revealed by none other than R2D2, my own personal Droid. To be exact, it is my new smart phone - the R2D2 Droid 2. He is the sweetest thing. He chirps and whistles and beeps just like the George Lucas character that I fell in love with all those years ago. Tonight we are hanging out together while Rick is in a meeting. I'm using my new toy to write this post while listening to the also oh-so-dreamy Randy Travis with the music feature.

This is so cool. I have a communicator that once only could have been considered science fiction. Now it is so real that today I caught myself responding to R2's chastisement for hitting a wrong key just like Luke would. Maybe one day I will meet a Vulcan too.

3 comments:

  1. NERD ALERT!! lol I'm not a Star Wars junkie, but I have recently discovered the awesome world of Sci-Fi literature.. I black-balled it for so long, I was finally convinced to read Ender's Game and it just snowballed from there... My fav. writer has to be Douglas Adams.. his nonsense worlds always put a smile on my face.

    Jealous of your new toy - waiting to upgrade to an Android phone in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I think I will have to reread the Hitchhikers Guide. It is so great. By the way, the Droid is AWESOME!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to upgrade to a REAL cell phone. I do. I know I do. How am I supposed to do the social media stuff for work without one? Except I'm cheap. And so is my cell phone. $15 Tracfone from WalMart- I've washed it 3 times too. Maybe I can't be trusted with a phone as fancy as R2D2- I'd kill him.

    ReplyDelete