The Watchman

The Watchman

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Aaargh, It's Fun To Be A Pirate

At Back-To-School Morning for our local elementary school, I was greeted with the anticipated volunteer sign-up sheets in my children's classrooms.  I have to admit that this was the part of the experience I was most looking forward to since this would be the first time in a long time that I had been in a position to volunteer.  Not being able to be involved in my children's classroom activities has been one of the things that I most regretted about working.

I had to determine how to best split my time between my two girls so they didn't feel neglected and what would provide me with the best opportunity to observe and impact their education.  For Emily, I volunteered to go to the classroom on Fridays and help with math.  My one experience doing this also led me to helping their class rehearse for the upcoming dance festival.  When Rick arrived home that night, he was met by Emily stating, "Dad, mom can really shake her hips."  Rick not missing a beat responded with, "I know, that's one of the reasons I like her."

For Lela I volunteered to help with two parties - Valentine's Day and Talk Like a Pirate Day.  Yes, this is a real day.   (Click here for more information)  Like most of you I was completely unaware of this movement until now and so signed on not know what to expect.  Lela's teacher made the day alot of fun.  The students were allowed to dress up and Mr. Tanner even came in full Captain Hook regalia.  The day was filled with piratish songs and the party in the afternoon.

I was asked to provide a game.  Lela helped me with this project and it was determined that the most pirate type game that would result in the least amount of bloodshed or chicanery was Liars' Dice.  In preparation, I totally descimated the stock of dice at our local Ace Hardware and WalMart.  Golden Hershey nuggets were used as the prize.  Other mothers brought treats - rice krispie treats complete with skull and crossbones stored in a treasure chest and Chips AHOY cookies.


It was a great afternoon to be with my girl and her friends.  Very touching was when one of Lela's classmates came up to me and told me how sorry she was our house had burned down.  Her grandparents are some of our neighbors and she is glad we are back by them.  How truly sweet this little girl is.  I'm going to make sure she gets an extra treat this Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment