The Watchman

The Watchman

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Not a Soccer Mom

Yesterday I woke up and felt lost. I didn't know what to do with myself. Why do you ask? It took awhile, but I finally realized that my disoriented feeling was caused by the lack of a swim meet. There was no packing of towels, goggles and swimcaps. There was no tattooing my children's bodies with Sharpie markers in order to talk Smack with the other teams. There was no need to be to warm-ups by 7 AM. In fact our house was quiet until almost 8:30.
It is amazing how this summertime routine has been so ingrained into our life. So much so, that Rick's mom had gone to the pool to watch the meet, not even considering that a holiday weekend would preclude the normal course of activities.
Lela competing in her first IM (Individual Medley) 6/2011

Swimming with the Hurricane Tiger Sharks is not the first organized sport my children have enjoyed. They have played soccer, volleyball and basketball, were members in a youth bowling league, and ran cross-country. But I have decided of all these sports, I like swimming the best. Like running, it is an activity that can be done with a team or on your own, but with less stress on joints. Swimming is also an activity where you can compete with yourself - improving with faster times and greater endurance. Swimming teaches discipline, good health habits, consideration of others and personal safety.
Swimming has also provided job opportunities for my boys, both past and future. Hunter enjoyed working the front desk at the pool and Wil is in his second year as a life guard and has also taught swim lessons. He will continue this career at least through his college years, increasing his certifications and responsibilities. Lela already looks forward to the day that she can be a lifeguard as well.

There is nothing better than a day at the pool with family, friends and beautiful scenery. But don't forget the sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment