The Watchman

The Watchman

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Today I Visited an Alien Land

We are experiencing Road Trip 2011. Today's travels took us to a place so alien to anything surrounding it that we felt like we had traveled to a different world. Even the name inspires the imagination: Craters of the Moon.



You round the corner from a field of prairie grass to see this.....




The dwarf buckwheat plants grown naturally in this regular pattern to maximize water usage......





If you look closely behind the girls, you can see a couple who are only about a third of the way up this cinder knoll.....



This tree looks like an alien frozen in stasis......


Just as alien for me was our visit to was Rexburg, Idaho. I spent a year of my life there attending Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho), so you would think that I could find my way around. I was excited to finally find the apartment complex that was my abode for that year and the football stadium, but after a quarter of a century, the campus and city have changed to such an extent that I felt like a stranger in a strange land.

No comments:

Post a Comment