The Watchman

The Watchman

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Where Has All the Time Gone

On Wednesday I had one of those moments that stopped me in my tracks.  My daughter and her friend were trying to plan a late night date for the following week.  Becca asked her dad when would be the best day the next week.  He replied that there really wasn't a day because they had to do the Taco Booth.  THE TACO BOOTH!!!! The Taco Booth means the Washington County Fair and the Washington County Fair means that school is starting and summer is over.

Now I knew school was starting.  I had seen the notice on the elementary marquee that I would need to pick up registration packets starting August 8th with Back-to-School Open House on Aug 12th.  I also spent three days trying to finalize Jon's registration for his senior year at the high school and a great year it is going to be.  But it wasn't until I heard those two words - Taco Booth - that I internalized that summer was truly coming to an end.

For our family it has been a productive summer.  In addition to the success and improvement our swimmers found participating with the swim team, we were able to get the majority of our landscape installed at our home, we took an amazing family vacation to Montana and brought our oldest son home from his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; we participated in and helped with many community events and we were able to spend time with friends and family.

The "final" week of summer promises to be a busy one, but we wouldn't have it any other way.  In addition to the last official swim meet, there is also an optional invitational.  We also have to prepare a display for the County Fair (nothing like waiting till the last minute).  There is the obligatory back-to-school shopping and sometime in the mix, we still need to go see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.  I am sure we will throw a few unexpected activities in there as well.  

I'd like to say that once school starts our life will slow down, but I think the only speed we know how to operate at is overdrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment