The Watchman

The Watchman

Thursday, February 2, 2012

And the Word of the Year is .......

Cherish

cher·ish/ˈCHeriSH/
Verb:
Protect and care for (someone) lovingly: "he cherished me in his heart".
Hold (something) dear.
Synonyms:
nurse - nourish - foster


The word of the year is a concept that my friend Cynthia Bee (aka Cindy) introduced to me in her blog Creative Chaos.  The idea is that rather than making resolutions that we know we will never keep past the first weeks of the new year, you choose a word that can help you focus your actions throughout the year.  It seems such a simple concept, but as I have thought about it the last few weeks I have realized that it can become a life-changing exercise.

So why did I choose "Cherish" as my focal point for 2012?  Because life can move fast and at times my life has been trying to set a new land-speed record.  I need to slow down and take time to smell the daisies or the roses or the tulips.  (Maybe I need to tip-toe through the tulips?)  So here are some of the things I plan to cherish during the coming year.  I know this list will be added to as the year progresses and some items will vary in their priority,  but like any goal you need to start.

1. My marriage and my husband - More and more I am reminded how truly blessed I am to have such a wonderful partner in life and for eternity.  There is no one I would rather be with.  He can always bring a smile to my face and his support for me is limitless.  I want to insure that he knows how much I appreciate him and support him.

2. My children - 2011 really brought home the point that times in the Wixom house are changing.  This is good, but I don't want to look back and regret that I just let these days pass me by.

3. My family - Same reasons as above.

4. My friends - Just as I have been blessed with a wonderful family, I have also been blessed with amazing and supportive friends.  Life can so easily take us apart.  Through Facebook I have been able to reconnect with many friends I thought I had lost.  I want to continue to nourish those refound relationships.  And I want to take a time to let be there and not lose those friends I have now.

5. My community - I love where I live.  It is the best place in the world for our family.  It has given us so much and it is now time for me to focus some time and energy on giving back.  Whether it is volunteering in the schools, making myself knowledgeable of issues in the community, serving on activity committees; I know I can contribute to this place.

6. My church service - I have a strong testimony of Jesus Christ as my Savior.  He has sacrificed so much that my life can be better.  In return, He asks for so little in comparison.  Often when we are asked to give service, we refer to it as work.  Yes, it can be hard at times.  Yes, it can take away from other things we would like to be doing.  But right now I have been entrusted to serve a very choice group of young girls and provide them with experiences that will help them grow closer to Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father.  In time this may change and the Lord will find some other way for me to serve, something else he will entrust in to my care,  but now it is twenty-three amazing and bright daughters of God.

7. Myself - I know that I will not have the energy or strength to give to anyone or anything else, if I do not  take care of myself.  Last year, I tried "to get in shape", and it was as you would expect such a goal to be.  I hope that a new perspective will help me gain a greater appreciation for myself.

So here is to 2012! No resolutions to break!  Nothing to feel guilty about not accomplishing!  If you were to pick a Word of the Year, what would it be?  Something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I like your word. I'm doing "Word of the Year" for the 3rd year now and it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete