The Watchman

The Watchman

Friday, March 30, 2012

We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet

 Come listen to living prophets

I am so excited for General Conference this weekend.  It is an extra special time to gather with my family and listen to the words of council from our church's General Authorities.  I never fail to find something that inspires me, uplifts me or challenges me.  Usually it is all three.

This conference is especially exciting because Wil (aka Elder Wixom) will be singing with the MTC choir during the Saturday afternoon session. (2 PM MDT)  I am excited to look for his little blonde head and see if he has changed as much physically as he has grown spiritually during his time in the MTC.  It is amazing that a month has already passed.  In just 25 days, he heads for Japan.  We look forward to sharing that experience with him through his letters, emails, and phone calls.

This weekend I am excited for him to have the opportunity to sit in the presence of a prophet of the Lord and feel his spirit in person.  That is such a special experience.  I remember when I was attending Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) more than a few years ago and a group of us traveled to Salt Lake City to attend a session of General Conference.  At the time, Conference was held in the Tabernacle, so the seating was on hard wooden benches and we were squished together to maximize occupancy.  Even though I do not remember what was said during that meeting, I do remember the joy that filled my heart when the prophet entered the building and we sang "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet".

Wil's seat is going to be cushier and his view will be closer, but the Spirit will be the same.  How grateful I am for the Prophet today, Thomas S Monson.  The words of wisdom he provides are what are needed for us at this time.  In 2010, President Monson spoke at the graduation ceremony for my alma mater, Weber State University.  He shared a quote by Mary Anne Radmacher that has meant so much to me: Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment