The Watchman

The Watchman

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cherish the Year

For 2012, I established "Cherish" as the theme to guide me throughout the year.  With the start of a new school year, I thought I would pull out that word and see how it applies.

The first day of school has always been bittersweet for me.  On one hand I am excited that my children are having new experiences, learning new things, making new friends.  On the other hand, I realize that they are one year older and I am less able to protect and shelter.

This year was especially poignant - our youngest son started college.  Looking back, his first day of kindergarten was the hardest first day of school I have ever experienced.  At the time, he was my baby and I cried for hours.  I had even considered holding him back a year and felt justified in that decision since his birthday is in late July, until a sweet lady, Tamra Schenk, put her arm around me and told me it would be okay.  I am so glad I listened to her.

Jon on his first First Day of School

That year ended up being the craziest, most tumultuous year for our family as I contracted a strep infection that was only resolved nine months later with my tonsils being removed, I experienced a miscarriage, Rick started his Master's Program, Rick changed jobs and the boys contracted head lice during an outbreak at the school.  Still somehow out of all this, Rick and I decided that we really did want another child (the zebra finches didn't fill the house with enough noise), and so we had Lela.  Some how it seems appropriate that this year Lela started her new adventure in intermediate school as her brother started college.

Now I can look back on that time and laugh.  The memories of how we worked together during all the struggles, Taco Tuesdays at Del Taco with the boys while Rick was in school, dance practices and recitals, Halloween costumes made, soccer games with Rick and I coaching three different teams, and so much more - these are the times to cherish. As my children start off to school this year, I hope to help them find the moments that they too can cherish.

Hunter poses during a training activity for the
Resident Hall  Staff at Utah State University

Wil arriving in Japan

Jon ready to start at Dixie State College

Lela can't wait to get out the door

My Sunshine ready for fourth grad

1 comment:

  1. You have so much to cherish! Congratulations on a Happy School-y Day!

    ReplyDelete