The Watchman

The Watchman

Sunday, June 17, 2012

I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home

Last night I slept better than I have in days.  Rick was home and all was well in our world again.

Rick and Jon had the opportunity to attend the Beaver High Adventure Base.  This was the last Scout Camp where Rick was the leader and one of our sons was the scout.  During the past 11 years, there have been so many of these activities and I am so grateful that Rick has desired to and been able to be an active participant in this part of our sons' lives.  These adventures have brought them closer together, helped our sons learn lessons of integrity and cooperation and leadership and overcoming adversity from their father, along with having a heck of a good time.

On the 50-mile hike - Wil on the far left, Jon on the far right
One thing I did notice while writing this was that while there were many pictures of our sons doing activities, we had very few pictures of Rick.  I know this is because he always made an effort to not only take pictures so that they could remember the experience, but so they could come home and share that experience with me.

Rick has also been amazing at spending time with the his children.  He is the man when it comes to carving pumpkins, building snowmen, shooting rockets (and rocket cars), skiing, golfing, playing tennis, riding the motorcycle and playing games.  Dad can do it all.

Rick, Hunter and the Famu Rocket
My sisters often tell me that I set the bar too high when I married Rick.  That he is perfect and they haven't been able to find anyone who measures up.  I know that the most important things Rick has taught and continues to teach our children they have learned from his example.  Our sons have learned how to work hard, be respectful and to treasure their wife and children and our girls have learned that they can do anything and be anything just like their brothers.  These are the same lessons I learned from my father.

With my dad during a daddy/daughter date.  I'm probably ten years old.
On Friday, Lela asked when her dad was coming home.  I asked her if she was getting tired of it being girls only at our house.  Her response was - Mom, we need dad.  I feel the same way.  I understand why Emily was so excited to be able to sing this song to her dad today in church, because I can remember being excited to sing it to my own dad - I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home (Daddy's Homecoming)

I'm so glad when Daddy comes home, Glad as I can be;
Clap my hands and shout for joy, then climb upon his knee,
Put my arms around his neck, hug him tight like this,
Pat his cheeks and give him what - a great big kiss.






No comments:

Post a Comment