The Watchman

The Watchman

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Month of Gratitude - November 19

Tonight as I sit and listen to all the sniffling, sneezing, and coughing going on in my house, I am so grateful for cold medication that will help us get a somewhat decent night's sleep - at least those of us who still aren't sniffling, sneezing and coughing.

I am also grateful that the above medication now comes in flavors that are somewhat palatable to my family members in liquid form or that can be taken in tablet form so there is now horrid after taste.  It helps in the reasoning that cure is better than the problem.

As a parent, I have become ever increasingly grateful to my own parents for their love and care when I was sick as a child.  First because there is no worse feeling than having a child in pain and being unable to make that pain go away.  Second because I know that I was never that good of a patient - "Just Leave Me Alone" is my motto and so it took a lot of patience on their part to make sure I took my medication.

Lastly I want to say that I don't think I will ever reach a point in my life that the smell of Pepto-Bismal will not make my stomach turn.  It is too firmly associated with the stomach flu in my psyche.  If you need Pepto-Bismal, don't come looking for any at my house.  We drink Ginger Ale (Vernors) or eat bananas.

3 comments:

  1. Vernors forever, man! Hot Vernors whenever we're sick. Alex hate the smell of Pepto too and to this day, I can't stomach the smell of Sudafed. Glad for modern medicine, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the one who introduced me to the wonder that is Vernors. I had morning sickness all day long with Lela and you suggested I try some. I knew then that you were an angel.

      Delete