The Watchman

The Watchman

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Month of Gratitude - November 28

Tonight I am sitting in a hotel with Rick in North Salt Lake.  My heart is full of all the things I am thankful for tonight:  safe travel on the road; children who are secure enough to be alone for one evening; grandma who is willing to help out; that my sweetie and I still enjoy being together more than being apart.

Earlier today, I helped with the teacher appreciation lunch at our local elementary school.  I was asked to bring a crockpot of soup.  I made my new favorite chili aptly named Super-Easy Slow Cooker Three-Bean Chili..  This has also become a family favorite as witnessed by the number of times that I made it in October without ever throwing out any leftovers.

As I prepared to take the chili to the school, I carefully cleaned the outside of my crockpot.  I noticed again the chipped handle and the dated exterior, but my heart was full of joy, because this crockpot was given to us by someone after our house fire.  Each time I use it, I am reminded of the love and support that we felt during the hardest time in our lives.  I am reminded again that each of us are brothers and sisters and that we are surrounded by genuinely good and compassionate people.

When Emily came home from school, she asked me to help her with a speech that she has to give tomorrow in school.  She is talking to her class about how to prevent fires and not get hurt.  She wrote about all the things we have taught her and I was amazed at the knowledge and understanding of my little girl.  I was also amazed at her ability to address a subject that a year ago would have had her in tears.  How grateful I am to see that the psychological damage from the fire continues to heal.

2 comments:

  1. Ann, I loved this post. So many sweet things. I totally get the chipped crockpot love. I have many sentimental pieces like that. Your daughter is a trooper. To be able to live through that whole experience and be able to share something so important from it, I'm very impressed. XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful to see the progress in the healing process. It is hard sometimes to believe that it has been 2 1/2 years, because there are times that it doesn't seem that long ago. I was so happy she could take this step.

      Delete